YOUR PEOPLE SHALL BE MY PEOPLE, AND YOUR GOD MY GOD

SATURDAY WEEK 20 IN ORDINARY TIME Universalis
The greatest and the first commandment

Reading Ruth 1:1,3-6,14-16,22 Ruth the Moabitess is brought to Bethlehem by Naomi


In the days of the Judges famine came to the land and a certain man from Bethlehem of Judah went – he, his wife and his two sons – to live in the country of Moab. Elimelech, Naomi’s husband, died, and she and her two sons were left. These married Moabite women: one was named Orpah and the other Ruth. They lived there about ten years. Then both Mahlon and Chilion also died and the woman was bereft of her two sons and her husband. So she and her daughters-in-law prepared to return from the country of Moab, for she had heard that the Lord had visited his people and given them food. Then Orpah kissed her mother-in-law and went back to her people. But Ruth clung to her.

Naomi said to her, ‘Look, your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and to her god. You must return too; follow your sister-in-law.’

But Ruth said,

‘Do not press me to leave you and to turn back from your company, for ‘wherever you go, I will go, wherever you live, I will live. Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God.’

This was how Naomi, she who returned from the country of Moab, came back with Ruth the Moabitess her daughter-in-law. And they came to Bethlehem at the beginning of the barley harvest.

Responsorial Psalm: My soul, give praise to the Lord

Gospel Matthew 22:34-40 The commandments of love

CDR: When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees they got together and, to disconcert him, one of them put a question, ‘Master, which is the greatest commandment of the Law?’ Jesus said, ‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second resembles it: You must love your neighbour as yourself. On these two commandments hang the whole Law, and the Prophets also.’

Loving Father, the greatest commandment is the love of God, and the second love for my neighbour. Loving Father give me the zeal to obey and to love your commandments. Keep me faithful to your law. Father give me your Holy Spirit to guide me, to teach me and to be my counselor. Father I desire to do your will for you are my God.
 
Jesus I trust in you. Virgin Mary pray for me. Saint Joseph pray for me. Angels of God pray for me. Holy Saints and Apostles pray for me. My Angel Guardian pray for me. Protect me. 

Pray the Holy Rosary: Hail Mary full of grace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JE NE SUIS PAS VENU APPELER DES JUSTES MAIS DES PÉCHEURS

LES CHEVEUX DE VOTRE TETE SONT TOUS COMPTÉS

THE FIG TREE YOU CURSED HAS WITHERED AWAY