‘WHY DO YOU SET THIS TRAP FOR ME?

TUESDAY WEEK 9 IN ORDINARY TIME Universalis
What about your own good works?
Reading Tobit 2:9-14 'Everyone knows what return you have had for your good works'

I, Tobit, took a bath; then I went into the courtyard and lay down by the courtyard wall. Since it was hot I left my face uncovered. I did not know that there were sparrows in the wall above my head; their hot droppings fell into my eyes. White spots then formed, which I was obliged to have treated by the doctors. But the more ointments they tried me with, the more the spots blinded me, and in the end I became blind altogether. I remained without sight four years; all my brothers were distressed; and Ahikar provided for my upkeep for two years, till he left for Elymais. 

My wife Anna then undertook woman’s work; she would spin wool and take cloth to weave; she used to deliver whatever had been ordered from her and then receive payment. Now on March the seventh she finished a piece of work and delivered it to her customers. They paid her all that was due, and into the bargain presented her with a kid for a meal. When the kid came into my house, it began to bleat. I called to my wife and said, ‘Where does this creature come from? Suppose it has been stolen! Quick, let the owners have it back; we have no right to eat stolen goods.’ She said, ‘No, it was a present given me over and above my wages.’ I did not believe her, and told her to give it back to the owners (I blushed at this in her presence). Then she answered, ‘What about your own alms? What about your own good works? Everyone knows what return you have had for them.’ 

Gospel Mark 12:13-17 
Give back to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God CDR

The chief priests and the scribes and the elders sent to Jesus some Pharisees and some Herodians to catch him out in what he said. These came and said to him, ‘Master, we know you are an honest man, that you are not afraid of anyone, because a man’s rank means nothing to you, and that you teach the way of God in all honesty. Is it permissible to pay taxes to Caesar or not? Should we pay, yes or no?’ Seeing through their hypocrisy he said to them, ‘Why do you set this trap for me? Hand me a denarius and let me see it.’ They handed him one and he said, ‘Whose head is this? Whose name?’ ‘Caesar’s’ they told him. Jesus said to them, ‘Give back to Caesar what belongs to Caesar – and to God what belongs to God.’ This reply took them completely by surprise.

My God, my Father in heaven I worship you. Father give me a generous heart. Make me sensitive to the needs of your creatures. Make me attentive to the voices that calls out for help. Do not close my heart to needs and suffering of your creatures. May my good works bring glory to your name.

True Father it may seems are our good works are futile, they are unappreciated. Sometimes we are asked ‘What about your own alms? What about your own good works? Everyone knows what return you have had for them.’ We know that you Father reward every good deeds. May we never be weary in doing good. Deliver me from spirit of hypocrisy. May my actions be pleasing to you my Father.

Sacred Heart of Jesus I believe in your love for me. Sacred Heart of Jesus I place all my trust in you. Immaculate Heart of Mary pray for me. Saint Joseph pray for me. God’s Angels pray for me. My Guardian Angel pray for me. Defend me. Protect me.

Pray your Holy Rosary: Hail Mary full of grace. Hail Holy Queen. Hail Holy Mother of our Lord and our Redeemer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JE NE SUIS PAS VENU APPELER DES JUSTES MAIS DES PÉCHEURS

LES CHEVEUX DE VOTRE TETE SONT TOUS COMPTÉS

THE FIG TREE YOU CURSED HAS WITHERED AWAY