THE RIGHT APPROACH TO FASTING

FRIDAY AFTER ASH WEDNESDAY Universalis
‘Why is it that we and the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not?’ 
Reading Isaiah 58:1-9 The sort of fast that pleases me

Thus says the Lord: Shout for all you are worth, raise your voice like a trumpet. Proclaim their faults to my people, their sins to the House of Jacob. They seek me day after day, they long to know my ways, like a nation that wants to act with integrity and not ignore the law of its God. They ask me for laws that are just, they long for God to draw near: ‘Why should we fast if you never see it, why do penance if you never notice?’
 
Look, you do business on your fast-days, you oppress all your workmen; look, you quarrel and squabble when you fast and strike the poor man with your fist. Fasting like yours today   will never make your voice heard on high. Is that the sort of fast that pleases me, a truly penitential day for men? Hanging your head like a reed, lying down on sackcloth and ashes? Is that what you call fasting, a day acceptable to the Lord?
 
Is not this the sort of fast that pleases me – it is the Lord who speaks – to break unjust fetters and   undo the thongs of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and break every yoke, to share your bread with the hungry, and shelter the homeless poor, to clothe the man you see to be naked   and not turn from your own kin?
 
Then will your light shine like the dawn and your wound be quickly healed over. Your integrity will go before you   and the glory of the Lord behind you. Cry, and the Lord will answer; call, and he will say, ‘I am here.’
 
Responsorial Psalm: A humbled, contrite heart, O God, you will not spurn.
 
Gospel Matthew 9:14-15 When the bridegroom is taken from them, then they will fast
 
John’s disciples came to Jesus and said, ‘Why is it that we and the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not?’ Jesus replied, ‘Surely the bridegroom’s attendants would never think of mourning as long as the bridegroom is still with them? But the time will come for the bridegroom to be taken away from them, and then they will fast.’
CDR
 
Loving Father, I thank you for your admonition that will transform my life. Your commandments will make me a shining light. Father obeying your commands will make me upright and through my actions your glory shall be revealed. Father guide my actions that my attitude in this season of Lent be pleasing to you.
 
Father help me in my resolution to fast and do penance. True penance involves my being just and not oppressing my fellow creatures, that I should share my meal with the hungry, I should clothe the naked, and be at peace with my brethren. Father remove every spirit of quarrel, misunderstanding, lies and pretense from me. Father make my fasting acceptable. Create in me a humble and contrite heart, transform me.

Lord Jesus I trust in you. Virgin Mary pray for me. Saint Joseph pray for me. God's Holy Angels and Saints pray for me. My Guardian Angel pray for me. Guide me, protect me.

Pray the Holy Rosary. Go for Stations of the Cross.

Psalm 51 Prayer of Penance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JE NE SUIS PAS VENU APPELER DES JUSTES MAIS DES PÉCHEURS

LES CHEVEUX DE VOTRE TETE SONT TOUS COMPTÉS

THE FIG TREE YOU CURSED HAS WITHERED AWAY