DO NOT SWEAR

SATURDAY WEEK TEN IN ORDINARY TIME: YES IF YES NO IF NO
First Reading Acts 11:21-26,13:1-3 He was a good man, filled with the Holy Spirit and with faith
A great number believed and were converted to the Lord. The church in Jerusalem heard about this and they sent Barnabas to Antioch. There he could see for himself that God had given grace, and this pleased him, and he urged them all to remain faithful to the Lord with heartfelt devotion; for he was a good man, filled with the Holy Spirit and with faith. And a large number of people were won over to the Lord. Readings Lectures Reflections

Barnabas then left for Tarsus to look for Saul, and when he found him he brought him to Antioch. As things turned out they were to live together in that church a whole year, instructing a large number of people. It was at Antioch that the disciples were first called ‘Christians.’ 

In the church at Antioch the following were prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen, who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. One day while they were offering worship to the Lord and keeping a fast, the Holy Spirit said, ‘I want Barnabas and Saul set apart for the work to which I have called them.’ So it was that after fasting and prayer they laid their hands on them and sent them off.

Responsorial Psalm: The Lord has shown his salvation to the nations

Gospel Matthew 5:33-37 Do not swear: say 'Yes' if you mean Yes, 'No' if you mean No
Jesus said to his disciples: ‘You have learnt how it was said to our ancestors: You must not break your oath, but must fulfil your oaths to the Lord. 

But I say this to you: do not swear at all, either by heaven, since that is God’s throne; or by the earth, since that is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, since that is the city of the great king. Do not swear by your own head either, since you cannot turn a single hair white or black. All you need say is “Yes” if you mean yes, “No” if you mean no; anything more than this comes from the evil one.’

My Father, God of mercy and compassion I thank you for today. Thank you for a refreshing morning. Father each day you reveal your love, your faithfulness, your mercy and compassion. Father accept my praise of adoration and thanksgiving through Jesus Christ my Lord. Make me holy. Make me truthful. Father remove every spirit of lies and deception from my heart. In my dealings let my yes be yes and no be no. I thank Lord Jesus Christ for your words. Lord make my heart like yours.

Lord Jesus I trust in you. Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy on me. Immaculate Heart of Mary pray for me. Saint Joseph pray for me. God's Holy Angels and Saints pray for me. My Angel Guardian protect me, defend me, guard and guide me.

Pray the Holy Rosary: Blessed Virgin Mary Queen of Apostles pray for us.

Your Birthday Saint: Saint Barnabas, Apostle. May he pray for you as you celebrate your birthday today.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JE NE SUIS PAS VENU APPELER DES JUSTES MAIS DES PÉCHEURS

LES CHEVEUX DE VOTRE TETE SONT TOUS COMPTÉS

THE FIG TREE YOU CURSED HAS WITHERED AWAY