THE TONGUE A DEADLY WEAPON

THE TONGUE IS LIKE A FLAME
SATURDAY WEEK 6 IN ORDINARY TIME YEAR C Memorial  BVM
MY DAILY OFFERING: O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world. 

First Reading(s) James 3:1-10 The tongue cannot be tamed

Only a few of you, my brothers, should be teachers, bearing in mind that those of us who teach can expect a stricter judgement. 

After all, every one of us does something wrong, over and over again; the only man who could reach perfection would be someone who never said anything wrong he would be able to control every part of himself. Once we put a bit into the horse’s mouth, to make it do what we want, we have the whole animal under our control. 

Or think of ships: no matter how big they are, even if a gale is driving them, the man at the helm can steer them anywhere he likes by controlling a tiny rudder. So is the tongue only a tiny part of the body, but it can proudly claim that it does great things. Think how small a flame can set fire to a huge forest; the tongue is a flame like that.

Among all the parts of the body, the tongue is a whole wicked world in itself: it infects the whole body; catching fire itself from hell, it sets fire to the whole wheel of creation. Wild animals and birds, reptiles and fish can all be tamed by man, and often are; but nobody can tame the tongue. It is a pest that will not keep still, full of deadly poison. We use it to bless the Lord and Father, but we also use it to curse men who are made in God’s image: the blessing and the curse come out of the same mouth. My brothers, this must be wrong.  Leactures

Responsorial Psalm: It is you, O Lord, who will take us in your care

Gospel Mark 9:2-13 Jesus was transfigured in their presence

Jesus took with him Peter and James and John and led them up a high mountain where they could be alone by themselves. There in their presence he was transfigured: his clothes became dazzlingly white, whiter than any earthly bleacher could make them. Elijah appeared to them with Moses; and they were talking with Jesus. 

Then Peter spoke to Jesus: ‘Rabbi,’ he said ‘it is wonderful for us to be here; so let us make three tents, one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.’ He did not know what to say; they were so frightened. And a cloud came, covering them in shadow; and there came a voice from the cloud, ‘This is my Son, the Beloved. Listen to him.’ Then suddenly, when they looked round, they saw no one with them any more but only Jesus.

As they came down from the mountain he warned them to tell no one what they had seen, until after the Son of Man had risen from the dead. They observed the warning faithfully, though among themselves they discussed what ‘rising from the dead’ could mean. And they put this question to him, ‘Why do the scribes say that Elijah has to come first?’ ‘True,’ he said ‘Elijah is to come first and to see that everything is as it should be; yet how is it that the scriptures say about the Son of Man that he is to suffer grievously and be treated with contempt? However, I tell you that Elijah has come and they have treated him as they pleased, just as the scriptures say about him.’ Gospel Reflection 

Your Birthday Saint: Saint Conrad of Piacenza, Hermit. May he intercede on your behalf as you celebrate your birthday.

My Father in heaven, my God I aspire for perfection guide the words of my mouth. May I never use a wrong word in my utterance. Give me  a Spirit of self control.  Make my tongue a Flame of Peace, not a deadly Flame. To preserve life, and not to destroy. May I use my tongue to praise you and bless all your creatures. 

Lord Jesus Christ be the Lord of my life. May my life be transformed. May God's glory abide in me, that I may reveal His glory by my utterance and deeds. Lord may my tongue be a weapon of peace.

 Lord Jesus Christ I trust in you. Virgin Mary pray for me. Saint Joseph pray for me. My Guardain Angle guide and guard me. Pray for me. Be my protection.

Pray the Holy Rosary. Ave Maria




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JE NE SUIS PAS VENU APPELER DES JUSTES MAIS DES PÉCHEURS

LES CHEVEUX DE VOTRE TETE SONT TOUS COMPTÉS

THE FIG TREE YOU CURSED HAS WITHERED AWAY